How it Began...
The Loma Linda Fire Department originated in 1929. Its origination stemmed from the Loma Linda University Fire Department which was organized on August 28, 1922. In 1929 a constitution forming the Loma Linda Fire Department was adopted. The staffing consisted of 38 volunteers; one Chief, one Assistant Chief, 6 Captains, 6 Lieutenants and 24 Firefighters who manned 2 truck companies, one chemical auxiliary and one police company.
At that time Loma Linda was a Township split into 5 fire districts; District 1- Sanitarium Hill, District 2- College Division, District 3- South Side of City, District 4- West Side of City and Ladera Street and District 5- Pepper St. , Court St., Ohio Street and Colton Ave. A steam Whistle at the Fire Station would alert the Volunteers as to which district the fire was located. Some of the original equipment consisted of “pumpers” (Seagrave and a Model "AA" Ford) and hosecarts. The Model "AA" is on exhibit in the Fire Department Museum along with other artifacts from the past.
In 1970 the city of Loma Linda was incorporated and the fire department staffing transformed into a combination department with both full-time and part-time members.
The fire station was originally based in the old Loma Linda University power plant at 10936 Parkland . In 1982 the existing station was built at 11325 Loma Linda Drive .