Skip To Content
TheCityOfLoma LindaCalifornia

Animal Control

Animal Control Services
Dog and owner
The City does not have an animal shelter of its own. We contract with the City of San Bernardino for shelter facilities. The San Bernardino City Shelter is located at 333 Chandler Place, San Bernardino. Their telephone number is (909)384-1304. The shelter is open Tuesday through Saturday from 10 AM to 5 PM, closed Sundays and Mondays.


We do not license cats. We do not pick up stray or feral cats. Cats are not currently required by law to be vaccinated against rabies or licensed. We do however, strongly recommend that all cats that are allowed outdoors should be current on all vaccinations and wearing identification or micro chip implanted. Due to the nature of cats they are much more likely to come into contact with potentially infectious animals than dogs are. Even cats that are not normally allowed outside, should be wearing identification. In the event of an unforeseen emergency or natural disaster, your indoor cat may suddenly find itself outside and very scared.

Dogs are required by both State and Local Ordinance to be currently vaccinated against rabies and wearing a current license once they attain the age of four months. The license should be for the city in which the dog normally resides. Dogs visiting in the City for less than 30 days are not required to be wearing a Loma Linda license but should be wearing a license for the city in which they normally reside. The fines for not having your dog vaccinated and or licensed can be up to $130.00 for each infraction. Licenses may be purchased at City Hall, 25541 Barton Road, Loma Linda. You will need to provide proof of a current rabies vaccination and a spay/neuter certificate if your dog has been surgically altered.

Dog Licenses are issued annually from date of rabies vaccination. A late fee of $15 will apply if license is not purchased within 30 days of moving into the city or within 30 days of the dog attaining the age of 4 months. Or you receive a notice of violation and do not meet the due date

 Click here to submit a license form.

running dog
Fees: 1 year 2 year 3 year

License (Unaltered)


N/A  N/A

Altered Pet


$25 $35

Senior Rate (altered pet only)


$15 $20

Finding a Pet

If you have found a pet please call us as soon as possible to report it. The Shelter will need the following information
  • Description of the animal (color/breed/size).
  • Where and when the animal was found.
  • Any distinguishing features (collar/tags etc.).
If you wish to keep possession of the animal while you look for the owner you will be asked to do the following: 
  • Keep the animal in a secure location.
  • Place an Ad in the local papers (most publications do not charge for found ads).
  • Call the three local shelters (Redlands, San Bernardino City and San Bernardino County).
    1. Redlands 909-798-7644
    2. San Bernardino City 909-384-1304
    3. San Bernardino County 909-386-9820
Losing a Pet

If you have lost a pet please call us as soon as possible to report it. The Shelter will need the following information:

  • Description of the animal (color/breed/size).
  • Is the animal friendly toward strangers?
  • Where and when the animal was lost.
  • Was the animal wearing I.D./collar etc.?
  • A phone number we can reach you at. 

We recommend that you visit the three local shelters at least every other day to look for your lost pet. Animals that are taken to the shelter are only held for 7 days (less if they are sick or injured) after which they may be put up for adoption or euthanized. An animal that is wearing an I.D. tag or a license will usually be held for ten days.The quicker you start your search the better chance you will have of locating your pet.

Unfortunately we do not pick up deceased pets. In the event that you have a deceased pet (dog, cat, etc...) you may take it to the San Bernardino City Animal Shelter at 333 Chandler Pl., San Bernardino, CA 92408. The shelter is open Tuesday through Saturday from 10 AM to 5 PM, closed Sundays and Mondays.

Injured Animals
Injured stray animals are transported to a veterinarian for basic emergency medical care. If the animal is wearing identification or is microchip implanted, we make immediate attempts to locate and notify the owner. If the animal is not wearing identification, the veterinarian will assess it's medical condition and decide whether or not the animal is stable enough to be held at the shelter after basic emergency medical care has been rendered. If the animal is not well enough to be transported to and held at the shelter, it will be humanely euthanized by the attending veterinarian. Injured animals picked up evenings and weekends are taken to the Animal Emergency Clinic, located at 12022 La Crosse Ave in Grand Terrace (909-783-1300). If your animal is missing and you are unable to reach Animal Control, we encourage you to contact these Veterinary Hospitals to see if your pet has been taken there.

Wild Animals
Wild animals are protected by the California Department of Fish and Wildlife. 

Fish & Game Wildlife-Inland Empire Division 

For coyote sightings call: 562-342-7100. Public safety issues with aggressive coyotes, attacks or hurt coyotes call the 24 hour line 951-443-2944 or call tip 888-334-2258. 
For additional information please click the following PDF link...