Skip To Content
TheCityOfLoma LindaCalifornia

Building and Safety FAQ's

 QUESTION: When do I need a permit?
 ANSWER: Building permits are required for most buildings and structures, including fences, walls greater than 18 inches tall, most antennas, and pools more than 18 inches deep. Accessory buildings used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses, etc., with less than 120 square feet of floor space generally do not require a building permit if designed as portable buildings. Almost anything constructed on or attached to the ground or attached to something located on the ground is considered a structure or part of a structure.

More importantly, however, is the fact that all buildings and structures, regardless of whether or not they require a building permit are subject to development standards and code requirements, even if they are only temporary or portable. Before erecting or constructing any building or structure on your property, you should first consult with City planning staff.

 QUESTION: Why do I need a permit?
 ANSWER: Not having a permit may jeopardize your chances of obtaining financing, possibly invalidate your fire and liability insurance, and can create problems when you sell your property. By requiring permits, the City can make sure that building codes and zoning regulations are properly followed in all neighborhoods. These regulations have been adopted by your City Council to protect your property's value, as well as the community's health and welfare.

 QUESTION: What do I need to bring with me when I come to City Hall for Planning approvals and permits?
 ANSWER: Initially, a homeowner should bring in a preliminary site plan/plot plan which show the size and shape of the property including dimensions, any adjacent streets, and the locations of all existing and proposed buildings and structures on the property. Usually this can be a simple pencil drawing on an 8-1/2" x 11" paper. For fences and simple patio covers, this preliminary plan may be all that is necessary for approval. Other projects will require more technical drawings. City staff can assist you in determining the level of detail that is needed for your particular project. Before completing any detailed drawings, it is advised that homeowners review preliminary drawings with City staff.

 QUESTION: How long does it take before a permit is issued?
 ANSWER: Simple projects, such as patio covers and fences, usually can be checked immediately when you bring your plans into City Hall, and you can get your permit before you leave. At the very most, simple projects can be checked within one to two days. More complex projects will take 15 to 30 working days.

 QUESTION: Is there a fee?
 ANSWER: Yes, there are several fees that may be required, depending on the scope of the project.

A plan check fee, building permit fee and a developer's fee such as school, parkland, fire, etc., maybe required on permits. The amount of these fees range from $39.50 and up, depending on the amount of work being done.

 QUESTION: Do I need separate permits if my plans involve electrical, plumbing, and mechanical work?
 ANSWER: Yes, separate permits are required for this type of work. The Building Division will tell you if you need to get these permits.

 QUESTION: How long does a permit last?
 ANSWER: You must begin work within 180 days from the date the permit is issued. Once work has begun, the permit will expire if work is stopped for more than 180 days. Contact the Building Division if you need an extension.

 QUESTION: When are inspections required?
 ANSWER: An inspection is required when the next phase of construction will conceal the phase just completed. For example, inspection of wall or addition footings before pouring concrete, rough inspections for exposed walls before insulation and finish material, inspection of plywood nailing before installing underlayment felt and roofing material, and inspection of pipes to be buried beneath the grade, etc. An inspection card, issued with your permit, will help you in determining when inspections are necessary. It is your responsibility to call the different departments or divisions for inspections when each phase is completed. It is also your responsibility to call the Building Division to schedule the final inspection.

 QUESTION: Do I have to apply for my own permit?
 ANSWER: State law requires that either a licensed contractor or the owner of the property obtain the building permit. A friend or relative can apply for your permit if they provide a letter of authorization from you. Please provide the following when applying for a building permit.

 QUESTION: I left a message on the Building Inspection Request Line and wanted to verify if I am on the list of inspections?
 ANSWER: The Building Inspection Request Line (909-799-2837) is a 24-hour voice mail system.If a message is left, the inspection will be scheduled the next business day, unless otherwise requested.Inspections are done Monday – Friday.

 QUESTION: What time will the Building Inspector inspect my property?
 ANSWER: Building inspections are done between 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., Monday – Friday.

 QUESTION: What is the cost of my building permit?
 ANSWER: All Building Permit fees are calculated based on a valuation of the work to be done.Plus, specific flat rates for HVAC systems, electrical, or plumbing fixtures, if you have specific questions.You may call the Building Division at (909) 799-2836 between the hours of 8:00 am to 10:00 am.